Cambridge Book 13 Test 2, IELTS Academic Writing Essay
IELTS Essay on Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices.
Below is a sample answer for Cambridge IELTS book 13 test 2 essay. The question is asks you if you agree or disagree with the statement – Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices. You may read through the sample essay, given after the question. I have also marked a few words and phrases, which can help you write better IELTS Academic Writing Essay.
IELTS Academic Writing Essay Question
Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
IELTS Academic Writing Essay Sample
300 words, IELTS Band 7 + essay
As humans, we constantly make choices for our betterment. While some people claim that the number of available options has increased in recent years, others speak out differently. Regardless, it seems that technology has paved the way for abundance and excess.
A century back, life was simple; with fewer options. This is evident from the fact that even during the eighties, cable television was not available in India. It took another decade for us to be able to flip through inundate television channels and glue ourselves to our teak sofas. Moreover, this was true for other aspects of life such as commodities and academic courses. In the past, there were fewer brands of cars, shampoos, and watches; devices such as smartphones did not exist. There were fewer options in education, as well. Back then, Engineering, medicine and commerce were the only available career alternatives. Thus, it is right to say that the power to choose was limited in the past.
Apparently, things have not been the same in the last decade. Technology has changed the way we live and ushered us into an age of excess. Today, with a few clicks one can bring anything to their doorstep, even learn and master any skill one desires. Besides, a mere walk through the neighbourhood mall can overwhelm anyone. From Bluetooth speakers to the ever updated range of wardrobe, all would surprise any humble soul and may get the better out of them. Nevertheless, nowadays it seems quite casual, and the number of options does not bother much. Therefore, it is not wrong to point out that even though we have a lot of choices, we have adapted to live amidst it.
Picking from a range of options was not a luxury available to the previous generation. However, we live in an era where alternatives are abundant, in every sphere of life. Thus, I would blatantly agree with the statement.
- betterment – The improvement of something
- speak out – to say in public what you think about something such as a law or an official plan or action; to opinionate
- abundance – a very large quantity of something
- inundate – overwhelm (someone) with things or people to be dealt with; too much
- teak – hardwood used for building furniture
- alternatives – options
- apparently – As far as one knows
- decade – a period of ten years
- ushered – show or guide (someone) somewhere
- mere – used to emphasize how small or insignificant someone or something is
- overwhelm – give too much of something to
- wardrobe – a large, tall cupboard in which clothes may be hung or stored
- humble – having or showing a modest or low estimate of one’s importance
- soul – used here for an individual person
- blatantly – in a completely obvious and unsubtle way
- paved the way for – create the circumstances to enable (something) to happen or be done
- get the better out of them – to feel defeated
Justus Joseph, Asklearning
Justus has talents that excite wonder and admiration. Founder of Ask Learning, he is a wiz-kid who later found his passion in writing. As a calm and diligent individual, most students find a guiding light under his leadership. He teaches crafty structures in IELTS writing and gives a complete hand holding in it. He pulls off amazing methods to cope with grammar troubles students usually have. You may contact Justus on his Official email id.
Angels School of Knowledge – We are a language school located in Kochi, Kerala, and our complete focus is on IELTS training. Being focused on IELTS the best IELTS Coaching in Kochi. We are known to provide the best IELTS classes in Kochi, both online and offline. Our personalised IELTS training would let you score higher in the IELTS test and make you cross the dreaded band 7 in IELTS. If you are looking for an 8777 in IELTS General or a 6.5 in IELTS Academic, then we are your best bet!
Find us on your favourite Social media platform